Setting up shoutcast server is just like installing any other software. Installation and configurations should not take you enough time, whereas opening your firewall/router ports might take some time, it depends on your networking knowledge. If you are aware of setting up a router or any other network device, this should not take you enough time.
Here you go:
1. Download Winamp. Install it.
2. Download DSP plug-in. Install it.
3. Download appropriate DNAS Shoutcast Server for your server and OS. Install GUI version.
4. Run DNAS server. This will open your GUI.
5. Start Winamp and open Preferences (CTRL-P) and click on the DSP/effects subcategory under the Plug-ins tree.
6. Select Nullsoft SHOUTCast Source DSP v x.x. This will open a pop-up like this
7. Play some song in winamp, this will change the dB on Input Meters (Main Tab).
8. Go to the 'Encoder' tab. Change the Encoder Type to MP3 Encoder, if you are playing mp3 song. This will automatically choose Encoder Settings to 24 Kbps, 22.050kHz, Mono. You can change this based on your needs.
9. Go to the 'Output' tab. Click the Connect button, this will start streaming the song current being played i.e., the status will change from 'Not Connected' and it will look like the window below. Click Yellowpages to add information about your radio.
10. If the status has changed, you can jump to step . If the status has not changed, check whether the shoutcast server has been added to your Windows Firewall exceptions list. Open your control panel, double-click windows firewall and go to Exceptions tab. Check whether 'sc_serv' is in the exception list, if not, click add program and add your shoutcast server exe (programfiles\shoutcast).
11. To check whether the shoutcast server is streaming properly, open windows media player. Go to File menu and click Open Url (ALT + F, U), and type http://localhost:8000. You should be able to listen to the song being played in winamp.
12. Open ports 8000 and 8001 in your windows firewall (see step 10 to know about opening firewall ports), and then open the same ports in your router (look for port forwarding in your router config page). This will allow you to stream your radio on the internet.
13. You can change the Shoutcast server's settings based on your needs (open DNAS GUI and click Edit Config). This site explains clearly about the settings - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/shoutcast-config.xml#doc_chap1
Fetching Shoutcast statistics from .NET application
WebClient webClient = new WebClient();
DataSet shoutCastStatistics = new DataSet();
webClient.Headers.Add("user-agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR 1.0.3705;)");
shoutCastStatistics.ReadXml(new StringReader(xmlDoc), XmlReadMode.Auto);
Dataset shoutCastStatistics should have 5 tables: shoutcastserver, webdata, listeners, listener, songhistory and song. You can use them based on your needs.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.